DMV – DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES
The DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) are divisions of the respective 50 US States. There is no federal Department of Motor Vehicles in the US. The respective DMV’s authority extends to:
- Regulate, test, and issue driver’s licenses.
- Registration of motor vehicles, including cars, trucks, boats, and motorcycles.
- Regulation of state specific emission standards.
- Administrative enforcement/review of driver’s license, suspension, revocation, etc.
- Registration/administration of vehicle ownership (title)
- Collection of fees for licenses, vehicle registration, sales tax (for private vehicle sa
- Some state DMV’s have expanded responsibilities to include voter registration and state identification cards,